POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Glass balls, via bullet physics : Re: Glass balls, via bullet physics Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:30:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass balls, via bullet physics
From: Stephen
Date: 27 May 2013 03:49:51
Message: <51a3101f@news.povray.org>
On 26/05/2013 6:29 PM, Samuel Benge wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>> As for Blender cycles I gave up on it as it is

>> Internal renderer.
>
> I have an NVidia GeForce, but it's too old for Cycles :( In fact, my entire
> computer is over 6 years old. Cycles is fast in certain ways, and slow in
> others. Relatively fast when combining radiosity + focal blur + light-emitting
> geometry, slow when rendering glassy materials with caustics. I could really use
> a new system :)

Don't we all need a new system.

>> Once you have your meshes PovRay materials can be used.
>
> That reminds me, I can't for the life of me get POV-Ray to work with Blender!
> When attempting to render a scene, I just get an unfilled checkerboard pattern.
> Seems there's no way to tell Blender, "here is the POV-Ray executable." I may
> have to edit the addon's source code...

Well it is a bit soon for me to be using PovRay as a renderer. I want to
be able to use Blender properly first. But you intrigued me.
I downloaded the latest version of Blender (2.67a)
In User Preferences > Renderer. Enable POV-Ray 3.7
Expand the section and in Preferences (at the bottom of the section)
Set the location of the PovRay exe.
//..\..\..\..\..\..\Program Files\POV-Ray\v3.7 RC7\bin\pvengine64.exe

Save User settings.

In Blender set PovRay as the render engine and render.

I got that chequerboard pattern screen then PovRay started and the scene
rendered in PovRay. When I closed Pov the image appeared in Blender.

I actually had pvengine.ini open in the PovRay editor (Windows) and this
entry changed.

[LastRender]
SceneFile=QUICKRES
OutputFile=c:\users\stephen\appdata\local\temp\tmpydyozc.png
HistogramFile=
IniOutputFile=
CurrentDirectory=C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender
SourceFile=C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\tmpoluh0u.pov

I changed PovRay's behaviour to close on completion and the whole cycle
took about 4 seconds for a simple scene.

--
Regards
     Stephen