POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If you like rum : Re: If you like rum Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: If you like rum
From: andrel
Date: 23 Jun 2013 12:10:49
Message: <51C71E04.1040306@gmail.com>
On 23-6-2013 17:56, Warp wrote:
> andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Raising another straw-man ...
>
> I don't think you fully understand what a straw-man argument actually is.
> You seem to be using the term just as a generic "you are committing an
> argumentative fallacy with a known name" card.

nope, I am using it for those instances where you put something in my
mouth that I did not say and attack that.
Where I wrote that, you were precisely going to do that. So it is pretty
clear that I do know what a straw man is.

> (And now you will probably respond to this by an infantile "but you did
> that too!" argument referring to my use of the term "false dichotomy",
> even though I explained why this is one.)

nope, I understand what a false dichotomy is. And you used the term
correct. It is just that I never claimed that there are only two
options, so technically your use of 'false dichotomy' was also a straw
man's argument. ;)

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.