POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If you like rum : Re: If you like rum Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:36:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: If you like rum
From: andrel
Date: 23 Jun 2013 06:11:50
Message: <51C6C9E3.3040400@gmail.com>
On 23-6-2013 11:11, Warp wrote:
> andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> The problem with your point of view is that you totally fail to take
>> into account that use of alcohol inhibits your ability to judge the
>> situation.
>
> Still with the false dichotomy. Either you don't drink at all, or you
> drink so much that it inhibits your judgment. There's no in-between.

This is my last time trying to explain it friendly: it is not a false
dichotomy and your arguments are bullshit.

For most people alcohol slowly impairs their judgement, when they start
drinking it becomes harder to not take the next one. So it is not a
dichotomy between none and too much but, excuse the phrase, a slippery
slope. And one whose slipperyness suffers from positive feedback. I am
not saying that everybody all the time gets drunk whenever they take one
beer. Just that for most people there are certain circumstances where
they take one too many. Even if they knew that they should not have done
that when they still had a few less.
The number of alcohol consumptions one takes in one session has a
distribution. In most cases there is a peak at 2 or 3. But there is a
tail. And that tail is larger than what you know is good for you when
you are sober. Most people stop before it is too late most of the time.
The problem is that nobody knows how likely it is that they step on the
tail*. And if you realize that there is a true dichotomy: not drinking
at all or gambling with yourself. I don't care if you think it won't
happen to you and all the other people are losers. Because your ill
informed opinion does not invalidate their reasoning.

> If you don't want to drink then don't. That's fine. Just don't use
> fallacious logic to argue for it.

If you had read what I wrote and not read what you think somebody like
me should write, then you would have noticed that this reasoning is not
even the reason I don't drink. You started this whole issue by stating
it is a logical discussion and everybody with an opinion different from
yours is wrong. Consult your book on logic fallacies on how many you
have made in this discussion. I can name at least 2 or 3.

*) except those who already have crossed the line too many times. As
usual they are the most vocal. And possibly rightly so. I have seen some
of those people who stopped for this reason and took one beer because
they were among good friends.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.