POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with C++ : Re: Adventures with C++ Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:35:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with C++
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 24 May 2013 14:04:35
Message: <519fabb3$1@news.povray.org>
>> in Debug mode all variables are guaranteed to be initialised to default
>> values, whereas in Release mode variables take on whatever random
>> gibberish happens to be in memory, unless you remember to explicitly
>> initialise them to something sane.
>>
>> Ouch.>_<
>
> That's why options like -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -Wold-style-cast are my
> friends with g++.
>
> I do not know MSVC enough, but it might have that kind of warnings too
> (on explicit demand, of course)

I think MSVC actually *does* output warnings... It's just that every
time you compile the sources, it generates many hundred lines of
"stuff", and any warning messages are swamped by all the other output. I
think I've seen a warning or two flash past, but it would be quite
time-consuming to actually go read them all. (And most warnings are just
"printf is deprecated; please use printf_s instead".)