POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : moss : Re: moss Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:27:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: moss
From: Alain
Date: 15 May 2013 17:49:13
Message: <519402d9@news.povray.org>

> Norbert Kern wrote:
>> Sean Day <s.d### [at] uelacuk> wrote:
>>
>>> The moss will not hold up too well to a real close up, something I would
>>> like to improve as well..
>>
>> The first I did was to render a 8000 pixel closeup of yor excellent
>> source (no
>> rad, focal blur, but double_illuminate) - and I'm more than impressed.
>> Last time I got this feeling was with some JVP or Sam Benge images.
>> At once I got 5 ideas to enhance own images - so thank you very much
>> for the
>> source...
>>
>> For me the close_up detail level is extremely good compared to existant
>> alternatives - including your own oldroyal moss (which I liked much).
>>
>> But please improve your moss further, if you want to...
>>

>> Norbert Kern
>>

> Hi Norbert,
>
> Thanks, I think it looks OK close up but just does not look as much like
> moss and more like some kind of alien plant life which reminds me a bit
> of some of Christoph Gerber's images e.g.
>
> http://gerberc.deviantart.com/art/Moon-21-336009591
>
> I did some really close up renders of the moss (probably had a different
> texture as well). I think they are interesting but I would not guess it
> was moss at this level of detail..
>
> BTW, your first attempt at this round of the tc-rtc looks very impressive.
>
> Sean

For someone who have seen some moss images taken at scales where you are
no longer sure if it's still macrophotographies or should be called
microphotographies, that moss looks realy convincing.
Yes, moss do tend to look other wordly when looked at from /very/
close... The same hold true for molds.

Alain