POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : moss : Re: moss Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:27:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: moss
From: Sean Day
Date: 13 May 2013 04:59:30
Message: <5190ab72$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> One of the best photo-realistic images I have ever seen. Well worth the
> render time.
>
> Moss: blobs?
>
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

The moss itself is a mesh object but there are also blobs underneath the
moss. I place blobs using trace onto the surface of the rock then use
trace again to place the moss plant onto the blobs. The blobs can be
used to add a less even look if the surface is flat (not really an issue
in this case).

It is pretty much the same moss macro that is used in my old train scene
just with a different mesh object for the moss and an added parameter to
determine how many of the seed pods are place.

I will probably combine the two macros together so you can choose from 1
of 3 types of moss with or without seed pods. Happy to uploade it if
anyone wants to use it, there is nothing particularly clever in there
just trace and some parameters to adjust scale/size/randomness etc.

Sean