POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Current questions : Re: Current questions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Current questions
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 10 May 2013 16:39:09
Message: <518d5aed@news.povray.org>
On 10/05/2013 11:12 AM, scott wrote:
>>> Then perhaps it's a bad idea to create a programming language where
>>> using one vs. multiple whitespace at some point makes a syntactic or
>>> semantic difference.
>>
>> Perhaps. Most people seem OK once you explain that it's the whitespace
>> that's causing their problem. Generally these same people don't make
>> that particular mistake again.
>
> Doesn't it prevent you adding in extra whitespace for readability? That
> seems like quite a limitation.

Not really.

It's not like the rule says "you must have exactly X characters of
whitespace here, and Y characters of whitespace there".

It's only line ends and indentation that carry any special significance.
The whitespace within the length of the line can work any way you fancy.
And the rule about indentation is just that nested scopes must be
indented further than the outer scope. the rule doesn't say by how much;
that's up to you.

It's not like, say, Makefiles, where you MUST use tab characters or it
doesn't work right. (I always thought that was absurdly stupid...)