POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : first attempt : Re: first attempt Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: first attempt
From: Alain
Date: 23 Apr 2013 20:17:15
Message: <5177248b$1@news.povray.org>

> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> The flower looks pretty good to me! Maybe a little bit of phong highlighting
>> would help (unless the flower is supposed to be one of those non-glossy,
>> micro-fuzzy kind of things.) The scene is very pretty--peaceful and Zen-like.
>>
>> I'm curious why the flower stem seems to disappear in one section; a trick of
>> the vase's IOR?
>>
>> I haven't played around with Sculptris in awhile, but it's a great app (I have
>> one of the betas from more than a year ago--time to update it.)
>
> I am playing with the settings, seems to go from too dull to too plastic, will
> try using phong as I have been using specular maybe that will be the solution..
>
> This render had a bump map on the vase, I think that could be the reason
> (including the ior). I was mainly interested in the flower so did not think too
> much about the vase.
>
> Sean

You can try changing the brilliance a bit up or down.
With specular, roughness is very important. Make is small to get tight
highlights and larger to broaden them. Usualy in the 0.000001 to 1
range.You should also play with the specular value itself. In this case,
you are probably beter to keep it low, like from 0.2 to 0.5.

If you try phong, phong_size is usualy larger than 10. Larger values
make the highlight tighter.
Here again, you should keep the phong value relatively small in a range
similar to that proposed for specular.

With both specular and phong it's easy to get results that are to dull
or to shiny. You can use both. In this case, make their values smaller
still as the effects will add.

Render using version 3.7 and try adding albedo for diffuse, specular and
phong when using a brilliance value different than 1. It can make a big
difference.
Don't make brilliance under 0.5 or it will tend to look cartoony, at
least for me.
I don't think that a brilliance larger than 1.2, at most, would be OK
for a flower. I'd try something in the 0.8 to 1.1 range.

Alain