POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Relocation : Re: Relocation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Relocation
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 12 Apr 2013 03:38:29
Message: <5167b9f5$1@news.povray.org>
>> According to channel 4, the deal you get from your estate agent is
>> always the worst one. And yet, everywhere I've looked or asked has
>> either offered a far worse rate, or at best the same rate as I've
>> already got.
>
> You mean for the mortgage or the solicitor fees?

For the mortgage itself.

> I've never had the
> estate agent (especially not the one representing the seller of the
> house I'm buying) try to sell me a mortgage, but often estate agents
> have a deal going with local solicitors to get business. If you're
> selling you can sometimes use this to get a really good deal on the
> combined fees, and of course your agent knows the solicitor very well so
> communications are a bit smoother.

My estate agent does seem to be offering drastically cheaper legal fees
than anything else I've seen.

I'm not sure if that *requires* me to take their mortgage though...

(And "their mortgage" is actually the result of a price comparison
search. Hypothetically that should mean I'm getting the best possible
deal - but I'm sure there's actually some markup involved.)

>> (My mum is seriously suggesting that I should take out a credit card and
>> put the shortfall on that, just to get the cheaper interest rate on the
>> mortgage. Because, you know, *that* won't be expensive at all...)
>
> If you're very close to a round deposit amount that will allow a much
> lower interest rate then it may not be a bad idea, assuming you can find
> a 0% offer for 6 months or something, by which time you could pay it off.

It's news to me that you can *get* a 0% loan, but anyway...