POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monads in C# : Re: C# monads Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:29:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C# monads
From: scott
Date: 9 Apr 2013 03:14:25
Message: <5163bfd1$1@news.povray.org>
> For most parsing tasks, speed isn't really an issue. Usually you use
> parsers to parse human-written text, which is typically small enough
> that the time spent parsing is negligible compared to the time spent on
> subsequent processing.

I don't know a great deal about parsers (the most I've done is made one
to calculate very simple sums, like (5+4)/2) but AIUI things like POV
first convert the human readable text to binary symbols (removing any
unnecessary formatting) and then parse the binary symbols rather than
the raw text. IDK which part typically takes longer (I guess the first
part as that involves a lot of string searching), but the time POV
spends "parsing" even a medium-sized scene isn't trivial.

Saying that if you're writing something to do single-line equations then
you probably don't need to worry :-) I thought it would just be an
interesting real-world example if you've coded the same algorithm in
both Haskell and C# to see the difference.