POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monads in C# : Re: C# monads Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C# monads
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 8 Apr 2013 14:46:28
Message: <51631084$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/04/2013 09:02 AM, scott wrote:
>> You'll be unsurprised to learn that I am currently about 40% of the way
>> through implementing Parsec in C#.
>
> It will be interesting to compare the speed with your original...

For most parsing tasks, speed isn't really an issue. Usually you use
parsers to parse human-written text, which is typically small enough
that the time spent parsing is negligible compared to the time spent on
subsequent processing.

(If you wanted to parse a 3GB XML file, you wouldn't use Parsec. You'd
use one of the various XML-specific libraries which are tuned to do that
specific job very efficiently.)

That said, I'm not tuning my C# code for speed at all, and I don't
expect it to be particularly fast. Then again, Parsec defaults to using
Haskell strings, which are very inefficient... It looks like being a
tortoise race.