POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Skyrim...! : Re: Skyrim...! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Skyrim...!
From: Tim Cook
Date: 8 Apr 2013 12:24:28
Message: <5162ef3c$1@news.povray.org>
On 2013-04-08 02:33, Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Looks excellent! Really interesting result. Are the building plans taken from
> the wiki maps or similar?

Yeah.  The UESP map is the primary reference for the exact placement of
the Skyrim roads, shore, and the buildings (the whole thing at a few
levels out stitched together for the big-picture and shoreline, zoomed
in for more accurate building footprints).

> I had no idea Labryinthian was so big... I should go back there and explore...
> as you say, would be good to see the forest cover, and you're right, I think the
> mineral deposits would probably just clutter it.

Labyrinthian's not so bad, most of that is platform.  What boggles me is
how honkin' huge the exterior of Bleak Falls Barrow is.  Completely
out-of-scale compared to basically everything else, even considering
that the scale of the buildings is not the same as the scale of the
terrain as far as canon-distance is concerned.  Interior of it doesn't
match up at all with its exits, either.  (I'd put down the underground
areas of Embershard Mine and Helgen Keep in another layer, since those
can be tied nicely from point A to B, but gave up once I saw that other
interior spaces had nothing to do with Outside Geography.)

Mineral survey would be done as a sort of separate thing, rather than
having the map show individual points, trying to see if it'd be possible
to interpolate between ore deposits into contiguous veins.  Looks
semi-promising from what I poked around on the UESP map, but it'd become
a separate map.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.sjcook.com