POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Code gets the processor too hot? : Re: Code gets the processor too hot? Server Time
17 May 2024 04:41:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Code gets the processor too hot?
From: Ger
Date: 3 Apr 2013 15:58:26
Message: <515c89e2$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:

> Ger <ger### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>
>> What I did however is store the differenced spheres in a text file and
>> later
>> #include that. Doing it this way you don't have the nested differences
>> anymore and that has a huge impact on the render time. 7 seconds against
>> 1:36 minutes.
>
> Really?! That's quite fascinating; I've never tried such a trick. Being
> able to shave off that much time is a method I need to
> investigate--especially for animation!
Yes. I have tried it multiple times and the results are quite astonishing.
You have to keep in mind however that this is done on a barebones scene.
Just one main sphere with a bunch of differenced spheres, no AA, simple
light_source and so on. Whatever else you put in your scene does not profit
from this trick. Having said that, what I tend to do is when I have objects
that are the result of time consuming calculations I try to always store
those in external text files and later #include those files.

--
Ger