POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon: Old City street corrected : Re: Gancaloon: Old City street corrected Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon: Old City street corrected
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 3 Apr 2013 10:08:50
Message: <515c37f2$1@news.povray.org>
On 3-4-2013 15:31, Bill Pragnell wrote:
> This project is really bearing some impressive fruit now. I love this aerial
> view - good sediment effect in the river. The building arrangement is very
> effective, and totally transforms the resulting images. Once you get to a
> certain level of detail, there will be much mileage in finding interesting
> camera angles and lighting setups!

Absolutely. I am wandering around already. One thing I shall work on is
narrowing some of the streets.

> I liked the street view you posted recently too - a totally believable solution,
> it looked very natural.

Yes, everything works pretty well up till now. Maybe not in all close up
views but we shall see about that when it happens.

> I agree with other posts about smoke and focal blur. You could try placing
> people procedurally too, market crowds and dock workers... also, I think some
> flocks of seagulls or crows could really add some atmosphere for relatively
> little effort.

Yes, the birds, people, smoke, focal blur (in that order probably) are
elements I have on my to do list. For the people I may consider
billboards (although I shall have to make them first) especially for
overviews.

> You are inspiring me to get back to my city shenanigans from last year!

Thanks indeed Bill. I think you made an interesting start there with
lots of possibilities. Sometimes solutions come from unexpected corners,
like in my macro: I was developing a new technique to plant trees using
random locations inside an object as delimiter, when it occurred to me
that I could use the same approach for placing houses. Then, with
Paolo's hint, I got to work seriously... :-)

> keep up the good work
I shall.

Thomas