POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : An Alien Life Form : Re: An Alien Life Form Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:16:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An Alien Life Form
From: James Holsenback
Date: 31 Mar 2013 11:01:36
Message: <51584fd0$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/31/2013 07:22 AM, Pekka Aho wrote:
> This is also one of my first experiments with SSLT. That in addition to
> radiosity, area light and focal blur camera it surely took some time with my
> Phenom II x4 925. Total rendering time was 07h 06min 08s.

Nice job with the sslt!

> I'm still trying to find ways to make the render go a bit faster yet not to lose
> much in quality. But if anyone notices any complete oddities in my
> global_settings, light_source or camera (for me it's been a lot of trial and
> error), I'd appreciate all kinds of advices and tips & tricks. =)

I don't think there are /that/ many gains to be made ... other that
perhaps radiosity. Have you looked at:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Tracing_Options#Radiosity_Options

also check out rad_def.inc (included with the distribution) maybe some
of those settings might give satisfactory results with less overhead