POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon: Old City street corrected : Re: Gancaloon: Old City street corrected Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon: Old City street corrected
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 Mar 2013 04:27:09
Message: <5156a1dd$1@news.povray.org>
On 30-3-2013 2:20, Kenneth wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>> On 29/03/2013 3:53 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>

>> Better and better.
>>
>> Now for the wheel tracks in the road,
>>

> I second that--on both counts ;-)  Really nice, Thomas; I feel like I'm standing
> in your city. (And it's all so beautifully made that the camera can apparently
> be placed anywhere--wow!)

Thank you indeed. Yes, I am surprised myself at how well the camera can
take the place of a spectator. It is all turning out better than I had
expected when I started with this piece of code a couple of weeks ago.

> The one thing that stands out to me is that the buildings and roadway are a bit
> too *clean*. (Well, very clean!) Some slight discoloration or grunge where the
> building walls meet the street would really add a lot to the reality of the
> scene--but I honestly don't have any idea how that could be done! It's an
> interesting problem...

Of course :-)

As far as the street surface is concerned, the solution is easy with a
more complex texture. For the buildings, if you look up some of my other
Gancaloon scenes, I have done that kind of texturing, mostly by using
Sean Day's textures as a basis. They consist of complex layers using
slope and altitude. At present, the buildings are using a proximity
macro texture which looks well from some distance but is not too
convincing at close range. Also, I need to tweak the parameters some
more to see if I can improve the results. We shall see. There is work to
do still ;-)

> I'm looking forward to seeing your next image(s).

Thanks. They will appear eventually...

Thomas