POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : "Truly free" : Re: "Truly free" Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Truly free"
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 30 Mar 2013 01:05:32
Message: <5156729c$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 21:01:14 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Ah, yes.. Right up there with the "'Free', until you decide you want to
> actually use it, or get fed up with being unable to tell if you want to
> use it, because 90% of the features are disabled."

In this particular case, no features are disabled.  The situation is that
you have to have a paid support contract ("maintenance") for another
product (an annual fee).  The product in question is also going to be
sold separately with its own maintenance schedule.

Where I come down on this (now that it's been a few days) is that I find
it dishonest to say product B is "truly free" to someone paying
maintenance on product A.  It's a component that is included in the
maintenance for product A, but that since you don't get it if you're not
paying for maintenance on product A or with a separate purchase of
product B itself, it's dishonest to say it's "free for owners of product
A with a current maintenance agreement".

But it's like (I think it was Stephen who said) the distinction between a
drink that's "free with the purchase of a meal" and having to pay for the
drink and paying less for the meal.

Jim