POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon: Old City street problem : Re: Gancaloon: Old City street problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon: Old City street problem
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 26 Mar 2013 11:07:46
Message: <5151b9c2$1@news.povray.org>
On 26-3-2013 14:46, Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> If I understand this correctly you already have the entrance
> somewhat elevated so if the house is high enough it will simply
> show a bit of stairs. You could also associate "inverse" stairs
> with the house that get differenced away from the street, so
> the door will be partially below ground level but accessible.

The visible stairs are 'below' normal ground level as doors are
positioned at y=0. Differencing is not impossible, but very complex in
this context as it involves the height_field of the city, which is
needed to trace the houses, which are needed to difference the
height_field. See what I mean? :-)  And still, for people to be able to
walk comfortably and drive carts along, the surface needs at least to be
close to horizontal. I think my solution is the easiest so far (for me).

> Reminds me of Copenhagen: many building had this sort of half-
> submerged floor. Our stay coincided with the strongest rainfall
> since 30 years, and most of them were completely flooded.

As Paolo said, old cities often have those sunken floors, for different
reasons.

Thomas