POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fruit flavours : Re: Fruit flavours Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fruit flavours
From: scott
Date: 26 Mar 2013 05:24:41
Message: <51516959$1@news.povray.org>
> It's more complex software that has to run on more types of hardware.
>
> More code = more memory required.

Also at least on the Acorn/RiscOS a lot of the OS code was written in
assembler. IME when I used a C compiler on that platform it sucked huge
amounts of RAM and generated equally huge files, so much in fact that I
needed to run it under a very buggy command-line-only virtual memory
manager (I only had 4MB RAM and it needed 8MB). This may have also
contributed to the larger RAM requirements of Linux.