POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Builtin color spaces, spectral colors? : Re: Builtin color spaces, spectral colors? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 01:34:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Builtin color spaces, spectral colors?
From: scott
Date: 25 Mar 2013 12:46:34
Message: <51507f6a$1@news.povray.org>
> However, I see one well-defined (and probably mathematically optimal) solution.
> What you want is a closest match of rgb colors in the target color space.

That could be the default (I'm not sure what sort of spectra that would
generate when you had a lot more wavelengths than 4), but how about
having another parameter (like CRI is used for white light) to determine
the "width" of the spectrum created? That way if you had said "cri 0"
after the rgb POV would use the minimum number of non-zero monochromatic
sources to create the colour (as if the light was created by combining
laser light). Or if you put "cri 100" it would create the "widest"
spectrum (maybe by minimising RMS value of the spectrum?) to better
simulate things like paint and incandescent light.