POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Bug in rendering of Bézier_patches : Re: Bug in rendering of Bézier_patches Server Time
26 Apr 2024 07:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in rendering of Bézier_patches
From: clipka
Date: 25 Mar 2013 09:05:10
Message: <51504b86@news.povray.org>
Am 24.03.2013 14:10, schrieb Timwi:
> On 24/03/2013 00:28, clipka wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure whether this actually qualifies as a bug, or just a
>> limitation. After all, that one point does constitute a singularity.
>

> not change that fact, and most users will expect it to render properly.

A bug is something that is supposed to work but doesn't.

A limitation is something that was never supposed to work in the first
place.

The Bezier patch is intended for square patches, and wasn't designed
with triangular ones in mind. Therefore, if it doesn't work with
triangular patches, it would be fair to call it a limitation rather than
a bug.

As I said, I myself am not sure how I'd categorize it. My favored
approach to this issue would be to provide some kind of dedicated
triangular bezier patch for such use cases, but so far I haven't managed
to come up with consistent math for such an animal.