POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : area light and radiosity problem? : Re: area light and radiosity problem? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: area light and radiosity problem?
From: clipka
Date: 23 Mar 2013 19:18:32
Message: <514e3848$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.03.2013 15:48, schrieb James Holsenback:

>> what's up with blotches? change #5819/5820 (octree) or maybe something
>> still with area lights?

Octree problems look way different.

> OK ... turning area_illumination off got rid of the blotches!

Crap - I guess I have an idea what's happening there. I happen to know
that in a portion of code that is called both for each individual point
light as well as each "lightlet" of standard area lights, and which
dispatches to the computations of the diffuse, specular, phong and ior
components, there is some test to make sure that highlights are not
computed for radiosity secondary rays. There exist two other, very
similar pieces of code to handle photons and the "lightlets" of
area_illumination lights respectively, which both /should/ have the same
test as well, but I bet the area_illumination variant of the code
doesn't. The result would be that a few radiosity samples would pick up
that highlight as an extremely bright light (boosting the sample's total
brightness a lot), while most samples would just miss it entirely.

(Without the test, if you'd crank the radiosity count up to insane
values you could actually use this mechanism to compute reflective
caustics. It would be extremely ineffective though, so we leave that up
to photons in combination with proper reflection.)

It'll take me a few days to look into this; in the meantime, could you
please file a bug report, and maybe already have a first glance at the
code to check whether I'm right?