POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fruit flavours : Re: Fruit flavours Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fruit flavours
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Mar 2013 16:48:03
Message: <514e1503$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 20:23:19 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 23/03/2013 7:47 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 19:41:08 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>>> I will go away and invent a time machine.
>>
>> That sounds like a plan.
>>

> I decided just to render one, instead.
> But I found a render on My HDD. So I suppose that I had better go and
> build the scene. To avoid any problems with causality.

LOL

>> Meantime, we've been listening to some series from the mid 90's.  We
>> miss Willie.
>
> I never really took to Willie R. Too much of a middle class snob to my
> mind. He was funny, though.

I don't know much about Willie other than that I found him funny on
Clue. :)  But he often had one-liners that would just bring the house
down, and even the other guys who were on the team at the time just don't
have the comedic sense of timing that he did.

About the closest they come now to that kind of timing is in the game
Word for Word, when (almost always as the second word), Tim will say
"Pardon?" and then the other player will repeat what he said previously,
to which Tim says "No, that was my word."

That one makes me chuckle every time, even though it's entirely
predictable.

>> And Humph.  Jack's getting the 'curmudgeon' routine down well,
>> but nobody does it the way Humph did.
>>

> That is Jack Dee's normal persona. He does well but Humph had years on
> the rest of the team and could look on everyone with the contempt of an
> adult with adolescents. He does very well but he is a youngster amongst
> giants. I think that in the long run they would have done better picking
> someone else as the chairman, someone with a different style. Maybe
> supper nannie. ;-)

Yeah, I've seen Jack on QI and a few other things (Kingdom, IIRC), and it
does seem to be something even his characters have in common with him.
But I don't know who else they could've picked - they couldn't "promote"
any of the panelists because that just wouldn't work - that group of
panelists works well together, even with the floating guest spot (which
they really should just let Rob Broydon fill full time), but putting
Barry or Graeme in charge (I couldn't see Tim doing it) would change the
entire dynamic.

But I think Jack does his own thing - he doesn't try to be Humph, and
that's a good thing.  I think if he did that, it wouldn't work at all.
His demeanor is similar, but also distinctly different.

Jim