POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fruit flavours : Re: Fruit flavours Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fruit flavours
From: scott
Date: 22 Mar 2013 04:55:33
Message: <514c1c85$1@news.povray.org>
>> I don't understand why it would be any different. You have a screen
>> buffer in RAM that you can directly read and write to, or if you prefer
>> the OS provides plenty of functions for drawing basic shapes.
>
> I had assumed "you need an NDA" means that you can't find out where the
> framebuffer is.

I think the NDA refers to the inner workings of the accelerated GPU
stuff, ie the mpeg decoding, 3d graphics transforms and all that stuff.
So with something like RiscOS you're stuck with only being able to write
directly to the screen memory (or using the OS routines). There is no
option to utilise any of the hardware acceleration (which the OS
routines can't do either).

> The device comes as a naked board, right? I wonder how easy it is to
> break it... Last I heard, devices like that don't like static discharge.
> (Great for something designed as an inexpensive toy for kids!)
>
> I had a look, and you can buy a kit including one of these things from

I got mine from amazon along with a clear plastic case and a USB hub for
about half that. You'll want a few SD cards as well, but they cost
almost nothing now and most people have some lying around from cameras.