POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fruit flavours : Re: Fruit flavours Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fruit flavours
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 21 Mar 2013 17:24:54
Message: <514b7aa6$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/03/2013 09:16 PM, Warp wrote:
> If we are comparing, we should compare the *same thing*, not different
> things.
>
> For instance, let's see how fast the Amiga opens a 2048x1536 full color
> PNG image, applies some gaussian filter to it, and saves it back to PNG,
> and let's compare it to a PC.

Thing is, your typical user cares about "I click on this folder, and it
takes 15 seconds to open" verses "I click on this folder and the window
opens in under 200ms". To a user, that *is* "the same thing".

Yes, *clearly* a modern OS is doing way more work than AmigaOS was ever
capable of. But in terms if *visible responsiveness*, the Amiga was much
better than PCs of the time.

As I say, if you run a copy of Windows 7 on a decent spec PC today, it's
usually fast enough now. Back in the days of the Pentium 4, this was
usually not the case.