POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fruit flavours : Re: Fruit flavours Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fruit flavours
From: Warp
Date: 21 Mar 2013 17:16:20
Message: <514b78a4@news.povray.org>
> > The only way that the Amiga would outperform a P4 would be if you added
> > some busy loops into the program to deliberately make it slower.

> Just launch Microsoft Office - that'll add the requisite number of busy
> loops.

> (Mostly joking)

I don't own it, but I'm pretty certain that if I launched MS Office,
I would not notice any slowdown anywhere.

Andrew's problem is that he's saying "I run program A on the Amiga and
program B on the PC, and the former is more responsive than the latter."

So what? That's like saying that rendering one frame of some CGI movie
on a 1000-computer renderfarm using Maya takes 48 hours, while rendering
some scene with POV-Ray on a 80486 takes 5 minutes. Does that mean that
the 80486 or POV-Ray are faster than Maya on the 1000-computer renderfarm?

If we are comparing, we should compare the *same thing*, not different
things.

For instance, let's see how fast the Amiga opens a 2048x1536 full color
PNG image, applies some gaussian filter to it, and saves it back to PNG,
and let's compare it to a PC.

--
                                                          - Warp