POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monads in C# : Re: Monads in C# Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:35:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Monads in C#
From: Warp
Date: 14 Mar 2013 17:43:58
Message: <5142449e@news.povray.org>
Anthony D. Baye <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2704652/monad-in-plain-english-for-the-oop-programmer-with-no-fp-background/2704795#
> 2704795

> Still trying to wrap my head around it.

It almost looks like it's describing inheritance. What is

"First, what is an "amplifier of types"? By that I mean some system
which lets you take a type and turn it into a more special type. For
example, in C# consider Nullable<T>. This is an amplifier of types. It
lets you take a type, say int, and add a new capability to that type,
namely, that now it can be null when it couldn't before."

other than inheritance? The next paragraphs also seem to be talking
about inheritance.

Of course the text then proceeds into blabbering about something that's
hard to understand and seems quite inconsequential. Something about
binding (which sounds like dynamic binding in inheritance, but apparently
isn't?)

--
                                                          - Warp