POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Basic arithmetic : Re: Basic arithmetic Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Basic arithmetic
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 13 Mar 2013 18:19:23
Message: <5140fb6b$1@news.povray.org>
>> Well, that's the thing. In the Real World, it's trivial to look up what
>> some specific obscure option does.
>
> Removing a package is, arguably, not an obscure option one would use
> occasionally.

Sure. But usually you wouldn't use rpm -e, you would use one of several
far more user-friendly tools such as Yum or Zypper or whatever.

> There are some things that, while you *can* look them up, if
> you're competent, you should never *need* to look up.
>
> Remember that a certification exam is a measure of a minimally qualified
> candidate to do a particular job or task.  A minimally qualified
> candidate on Linux *should* be able to install/remove packages without
> having to look the command up every time they do it.

The problem being that the exam requires you to know how to use every
possible package manager of every possible distro, not just the one you
actually use every single day.

If you ask me how to use Zypper, I can answer that. I use it all the
time. But if you ask me how to work, oh, ANY OTHER SYSTEM, I'm probably
not going to know the answer. But if some day I need to use one, I can
easily look this stuff up, and if I end up using it a lot I'll quickly
stop needing to look this stuff up.

I understand that it's important to know how to use different package
managers. I just disagree it's necessary to know every single one of
them to the level of detail where you've memorised every single option
and flag available. You're only going to do that for the one particular
system you use regularly.

Then again, I guess I should just be thankful there weren't more
questions about Vi. Do you know, the other day I had 3 LPIC-1 certified
staff crowding around my monitor, and between the four of us we couldn't
work out how to copy and paste a chunk of text using Vi...