POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Basic arithmetic : Re: Basic arithmetic Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Basic arithmetic
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 13 Mar 2013 04:58:59
Message: <51403fd3$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'm pretty certain I got several questions right. But unfortunately
>> there were quite a few questions where I have absolutely no clue what
>> the answer might be. (Which distributions use Yum? I've never even heard
>> of it!)
>
> yum is the command line package manager used by Fedora and Red Hat.  Debian,
> Ubuntu and Mint use apt-get.  I think Gentoo uses something strange, but I'd
> have to look it up to be sure.

I've never used Fedora or Red Hat. (No, wait, that's a lie. I have a
disk somewhere for Red Hat 2.1, circa 1996 or so. I don't think Yum
existed yet.)

Debian uses .deb packages, which can be installed using dpkg, dselect,
apt-get or aptitude. The exam requires you to know ALL FOUR. (!) Even
though in reality you'll only use one of these tools. (Usually aptitude,
because dselect is utterly incomprehensible!)

Most distros derived from Debian use the same packaging system. Most
other distros use RPM. But Gentoo uses the Emerge system, because it
builds absolutely everything from source. It's a great way to expend
compute cycles and disk space...

I never use RPM itself. I always use Zypper, but that's specific to
OpenSUSE and isn't on the exam. Whereas Zypper can uninstall a package
using the "remove" command, the exam requires you to know that this is
the "-e" switch to RPM. Not u for uninstall or r for remove, but e - for
no defined reason whatsoever.

But hey, that's Unix all over. Don't expect there to be any reason or
rhyme to it, just memorise this crap.

PS. It especially amuses me how many commands let you specify the number
of bytes of operate on with a -c switch. Because, as you know, 1
character = 1 byte. Oh, wait...