POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Basic arithmetic : Re: Basic arithmetic Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Basic arithmetic
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Mar 2013 14:52:09
Message: <513f7959$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:30:31 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> OK, so help me out here...
>
> I just took the LPIC-101 exam. For reasons unknown, the test is scored
> from 200 to 800. My score was a piffling 710.

That's actually a fairly standard scoring range for IT certification
exams.  I had the formula explained to me once, and it's not as simple as
it seems (I wish I still had the e-mail that explained it).  The scoring
methodology also takes into consideration partial credit for multiple-
select multiple choice questions (ie, "pick two of the following five
items that correctly describe X").

This doesn't have the formula, but it does explain the methodology pretty
well:

http://certification.acsm.org/faq17-exam-scoring

> If my arithmetic is right, (710-200)/(800-200) = 510/600 = 85%.
>
> The test consists of 60 questions. 1/60 = 1.666% So that means that I
> must have got between 9 and 10 questions completely wrong. (?)
>
> And to think the guys in the office were taking bets on me getting a
> 100% score... Not even close!

Questions are sometimes weighted as well, so it's not a straight "x"
points for "y" questions.

> (I'd love to know which questions I got wrong...)

You know, of course, that there's no way they'll tell you that.  Bad
enough that testing centres in the far east are complicit with screen
scraping the exams and producing "braindumps" that give you the answers -
and result in "paper certifications".  No test sponsor is going to
release a list of what you got wrong because that just helps the braindump
companies (and dealing with them is like playing whack-a-mole already).

Jim