POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : HDRI settings : Re: HDRI settings Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:29:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDRI settings
From: clipka
Date: 8 Mar 2013 13:23:44
Message: <513a2cb0@news.povray.org>
Am 08.03.2013 18:52, schrieb Cousin Ricky:
> "Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
>> You may be right.  I just had a look at some diffuse metallic surfaces, and the
>> effect I attributed to brilliance depends on viewing angle.  That is highly
>> suggestive of a very broad highlight, rather than diffuse reflection.
>
> You know, it's really, really difficult to find truly diffuse metallic objects.
> There are plenty of objects with highly blurred reflection, but not blurred
> enough for me to consider "diffuse."  The only satisfactory examples I can find
> have no curved surfaces and are nailed to the wall.  It's hard to examine
> reflective effects of such objects.

Let alone that such diffuse-looking specimen of metal typically don't
really have a metallic surface anymore, but a metal oxide one.

Sintered metal does seem to do the trick though, depending on how porous
it is - sintered metal filters, for instance. Judging from images found
on the internet, I'd guestimate such materials to exhibit a brilliance
of 1.0 - or maybe even lower.