POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Funniest bug ever : Re: Funniest bug ever Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Funniest bug ever
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Feb 2013 16:40:39
Message: <512a88d7$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:01:56 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>> The exception handling part is a feature of OO programming languages,
>> IIRC.  Bash scripting is far from OOP. ;)
>
> I think exception handling predates OO.

Well, I'm referring to things like catching exceptions.  That's something
that IIRC came with OOP.

Prior to that, for example, in C, if you opened a file and then tried to
do something with it if the open() call failed, you'd end up segfaulting
unless you checked for an exception.

So I guess, in a way, that is "exception handling", but I'm talking about
things like the Python "try:" method, or hooking failures.  You could
kinda do it in various languages in various ways, but there wasn't a very
standardized way to do it.

I may not be explaining it well. :)

> But whatever; Bash is a
> _scripting language_. It is meant for writing short, simple scripts, but
> building large, complex, mission-critical applications.

That I absolutely agree with. :)

Jim