POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Funniest bug ever : Re: Funniest bug ever Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:18:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Funniest bug ever
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 23 Feb 2013 17:24:23
Message: <51294197$1@news.povray.org>

> The install disk is a live Linux environment that runs a Bash script to
> do the installation. It does some crazy multi-way piping and redirecting
> to get the progress display to work. (Most Linux commands helpfully
> provide absolutely no feedback whatsoever, which isn't very good for an
> operation that takes 10 minutes to complete...) With all this piping
> going on, it wouldn't surprise me if some command somewhere is emitting
> an error message and it's simply been "lost" somewhere. A bit alarming
> that the script still claims that "installation was successful" though...

1. Redirect stderr to a different file.  And check for that file being
more than 0 bytes before claiming the install completed succesfully.

2. Expect the unexpected.  I am currently having issues with a "serious"
IT company over an install script that does not error checking and where
there are multiple error-prone steps between zeroing out the old config
and recreating a new one, which can leave the machine pretty much
brain-dead if Something-Bad(tm) happens in the middle of the upgrade.