POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A new view from Gancaloon's harbour : Re: A new view from Gancaloon's harbour Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:29:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new view from Gancaloon's harbour
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Feb 2013 03:23:45
Message: <5125d991@news.povray.org>
On 20-2-2013 18:25, clipka wrote:
> 5m wide = max. 1.5m width per ship.

Yeah... it is a bit of a squeeze, I admit. But for the pirogue-class
that's all right ;-)

Seriously, I may have to reconsider the layout. Sloppy architect.

> I doubt that such small ships would be moored directly sideways to a
> solid stone quay. After all, what heavy or bulky load could they
> possibly carry? And how would they get out of the ships at low tide?

Not much tide in the Mediterranean. Small ships, even pirogues crowd in
to the daily markets with fish and fruit, I imagine.

There probably is some kind of buffer (hides) either on the quay or the
ships to protect from the stone. Also need something to moor to.

> More likely you'd have narrow wooden walkways for such small vessels,
> floating on pontoons; and you'd moor multiple vessels side by side to
> those.

Yep. And as this is visibly going to be a multi-purpose harbour, all
kind of possibilities need to be kept open indeed.

Note: While using historical elements, these scenes are not intended as
scientifically accurate views. We stay in the realm of the imagination ;-)

Thomas