POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Odd lack of sense of humor : Re: Odd lack of sense of humor Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:35:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Odd lack of sense of humor
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Feb 2013 01:03:59
Message: <5121c44f$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 16:41:53 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 04:12:28 -0500, Warp wrote:
>
>> > "Nowadays it takes hours and hours to complete a game. Back in the
>> > good old times you could complete a game like this in under 12
>> > minutes."
>> >
>> > I admit it might not be the funniest and witties of puns, but I think
>> > it's at least slightly funny as humor.
>
>> I'm not seeing a pun here.
>
> Then I suppose you also don't see the pun in humor like "when I was a
> kid we had to walk to school up-hill. Both ways."
>
> (Not the same joke, of course. But the same category.)

That's not a pun.

A pun is:

"The use of a word in such a way as to suggest two or more meanings or
different associations, or of two or more words of the same or nearly the
same sound with different meanings, so as to produce a humorous effect; a
play on words."

(Source:  Oxford English Dictionary)

For example:

Did you see the movie about the hot dog? It was an Oscar Wiener.

(The pun here is the juxtaposition of "Wiener" with "Winner").

Or:

A good pun is its own reword.

("reword" and "reward")

Or:

Santa’s helpers are subordinate Clauses.

("subordinate clause" has a specific meaning in English - http://
www.chompchomp.com/terms/subordinateclause.htm is a good explanation)

Jim