POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Doodling : Re: Doodling Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Doodling
From: James Holsenback
Date: 15 Feb 2013 13:38:17
Message: <511e8099@news.povray.org>
On 02/15/2013 12:54 PM, Alain wrote:

>>> I'm always leery of .png images and how they show up in web browsers
>>> (a legacy
>>> of the past, I guess; can't shake that feeling.) As your post looks a
>>> bit dark
>>> on my end, I was wondering if I'm seeing what you see. Of course, the
>>> look may
>>> be just as you intended; but here's a screenshot (as seen in latest
>>> Firefox on
>>> my Windows XP machine) and saved as a .jpeg.
>>>

>> hmmm ... thanks for the feedback on darkness you guy's. i'm fooling
>> around with a back-lit approach and obviously it still needs help. one
>> thing i /did/ change this morning was to bump up the fade_distance on
>> the glass material. where i'd like to end up with this is glass that has
>> some zing to it while muting the background ... maybe a fools errand :-)
>>
>> btw: the screen shot doesn't look overly dark to me
>
> It looks as dark to me than the original. I wonder if it have anything
> to do with my CTR monitor compared to the LCD ones... My display gamma
> is at about 2.5. If I increase the brightness to correctly see the
> image, my text becomes all blury.

could be ... it looks the same in preview window, gwenview, gimp, t-bird
(this post) and f-fox (on my blog) ... sometime ago i went through all
the gymnastics of getting my display calibrated (gamma-wise) so i'm at a
loss. since the object is back-lit you'd expect the foreground to be
dark-ish right?

jim