POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Improving etched pyramids : Re: Improving etched pyramids Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improving etched pyramids
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 12 Feb 2013 15:45:43
Message: <511aa9f7$1@news.povray.org>
kmcpeak wrote:

> Thank you all for your help! I added radiosity, moved the light source above the
> scene,

are you sure? The lower sides of the holes still seem to be darker.

It appears to me that your camera is looking "down" from positive y
axis, and I'm not really sure what the default camera rotation is then.
You might wish to specify an explicit "up" vector for the camera.

Just for fun, you can also take you existing image and rotate it 180
degree in an image processing program to evaluate the effect.

> I also tried an area_light but as Cousin Ricky pointed out it doesn't seem to make a
difference.

It might when used with the area_illumination keyword (requires 3.7 RC)

> I don't seem to be able to get the sides of the pyramids closest to the silicon
> surface to have highlights,

This may depend on how "rounded" the edges of the holes are modelled
in the mesh. If there is just a mathematically perfect angle they will
not show a highlight.