POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another tweak towards realism : Re: Another tweak towards realism Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:25:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another tweak towards realism
From: clipka
Date: 11 Feb 2013 19:36:29
Message: <51198e8d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12.02.2013 01:05, schrieb Cousin Ricky:

>> Quiz:
>>
>> One of these spheres is physically wrong. Can you spot the problem?
>
> The one on the right looks like it reflects the sky more realistically.
>
> I have long noticed that conserve_energy does not have any effect on opaque
> objects, although that seemed strange to me.  Shouldn't whatever light that is
> reflected by the Fresnel effect not be reflected by other means?  So I'm going
> to guess that the left sphere is Fresnel reflection as of 3.7.RC6, and you're
> applying conserve_energy to Fresnel reflection on the right sphere.

You absolutely nailed it. Not much more to say about it actually.
(Except maybe that I'm still cheating: I'm only attenuating the
/outgoing/ diffuse light, depending on the angle to the camera. To
/really/ do it right, I would also have to attenuate the /incoming/
light, depending on the angle to the light source; but that would
require deeper changes to the existing code.)