POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How to read source code? : Re: How to read source code? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to read source code?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Feb 2013 00:49:33
Message: <511491ed$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 14:30:25 -0500, Kenneth wrote:

> What I would basically like to do is see the code the way the original
> developer saw it, while writing it (in whatever programming language
> that happened to be.)
> I might even learn a few things!

You have to be given the source code to see it this way - and that would
be in text format.

There /are/ decompilers available, but they won't tend to include
comments or even necessarily variable names the way the developer wrote
the code.

If you have code from a complex program, I have found Source Navigator NG
to be useful in dissecting the code to read and understand it - it's an
open source tool (don't know if there's a Windows or Mac version, but it
probably can be built for those platforms as it is open source itself).

Jim