POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How to read source code? : Re: How to read source code? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to read source code?
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 7 Feb 2013 17:15:50
Message: <51142796$1@news.povray.org>

> It has been a long time since I've made so fundamental(!) and exciting a
> discovery as this. Those who already know what source code is may not truly
> understand my elation. I feel like I've suddenly climbed to the top of a very
> tall mountain--and can finally see the wondrous and vast mountain range
> stretching before me, just waiting to be discovered.
>
> The POV-Ray newsgroups are great!
>
> The root of my *long-term* basic misconception (of not realizing that source
> code is a simple text file, AND WRITTEN in a text editor) is this: I thought it
> needed to be written in some kind of special 'source-code' program or
> environment--and linked in some way with C/C++ code libraries or some such, to
> make even the writing process work. Admittedly a funny/goofy concept, now that I
> understand what the truth is. (I'm leaving out the compiling or interpreting
> process, that's a different thing.)

There *are* tools that work this way.  They are often called RAD (Rapid
Application Design) tools and will allow you to drag and drop Windows,
buttons and list boxes, and auto-generate code in the background.  By
right-clicking on each of those, you can modify some or all of the
underlying code.  This is usually used to create front-end apps for
entreprise databases, but the underlying code will tend to be a jumbled
mess.

Kind of like using Moray or Blender to generate POV-Ray SDL.