POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Supercalorific : Re: Supercalorific Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Supercalorific
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Feb 2013 22:22:54
Message: <51131e0e$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/5/2013 6:02 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:

>> On 05/02/2013 04:09 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>
>>> Rule #1 - Never say anything that isn't true, but.. never actually say
>>> what **IS** true either.
>>
>> Ah yes, the lies without lying. Gotta love that!
>>
>> Although I have to say, the beauty products with the string of
>> sciency-sounding "technology" names are the ones that really annoy me.
>> You can take a block of lard and call it "Novo(tm) triglyceride
>> formulation with sodium ion technology(r)", but that doesn't make it
>> actually /do/ anything different to what a normal block of lard does...
>
> My all-time favorite is the beauty cream made with extracts (which
> extracts?) from plants that grow under high voltage lines, therefore the
> cream will help (how much?) protect you against EMI.
>
> The runner-up:
> A spokesperson for one of the beauty companies who was asked about the
> cancer-causing products (mainly formaldehyde) used in beauty salons who
> replied that "since skin was impermeable, it was impossible for those
> chemicals to get in your body.  To which the reporter retorted: "So
> you're saying all those skin creams that your company makes that are
> supposed to be "deep-penetrating" actually don't work?"
>
> Oops!

lol

Don't even get me started on "formaldehyde". Its a bit wacko conspiracy
thing that is supposedly killing us all, and one of the reasons to avoid
"unnatural sweeteners" is that it produces it in the blood stream. And
article in Skeptical Enquirer went over that, pointing out that a) all
sugars, and other "sweet" substances, produces varying amounts of that,
naturally, in the bloodstream, as a byproduct, b) you would have to
drink like 10 diet sodas to get the equivalent "formaldehyde" in your
blood stream from it as a 12 oz glass (equivalent of one can of diet
soda) of tomato juice, and c) the latest "miracle" sweetener, called
truvia, stevia, etc., is processed from the plant leaf it comes out of,
into a sugar like, granulated, form, using... ding... ding... ding...
formaldehyde.