POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How to read source code? : Re: How to read source code? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to read source code?
From: clipka
Date: 6 Feb 2013 18:49:43
Message: <5112ec17$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.02.2013 00:19, schrieb Kenneth:

> Hey, there are LOTS of separate source code files for POV-Ray! Where to begin...
>   I naively thought that *whatever makes POV run* would be just one big file. Am
> I correct in thinking that the program's source code is actually split up into
> lots of little (therefore manageable) chunks?

Absolutely.

> One other thing: Does POV-Ray (or any of the other text reader apps I mentioned)
> need ...uh... built-in 'code libraries' or something, to show *correct*
> C/C++/whatever syntax? In other words, does a particular app 'substitute' its
> own syntax for the correct one, if it doesn't have certain code libraries? (I
> hope I'm asking this in a meaningful way.) Am I *seeing* the code correctly?

Yes, you are. /All/ text editors show the code correctly. Some editors
can automatically identify certain syntactical elements to show them in
different colors (syntax highlighting), or provide you with ways of
hiding code sections (code folding), but that's just sugar, and as a
matter of fact it is /not/ part of the real .cpp and .h source code
files. They just contain the raw uncolored text.

> Off-off-topic: While I was doing my research into this stuff, I read about 'hex
> editors.' Apparently they can open an executable (.exe) file for editing?? (Not
> in a higher-level language, of course.)

Uh... yes, but such procedure is /not/ recommended in the least. With a
hex editor, you can visualize (and manipulate) the /true/ content of
/any/ file, byte by byte.