POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Supercalorific : Re: Supercalorific Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Supercalorific
From: Stephen
Date: 6 Feb 2013 16:23:24
Message: <5112c9cc$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/02/2013 10:14 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> he placebo effect is strongest on things which are not objectively
> measurable.

Is it?
I've seen results from drug tests where the placebo group has better
results than the control group but not as good as the group that takes
the actual drug.
(Andrel's opinion would be of interest.)

> So I guess it depends what you're expecting this stuff to do.

Exactly, that is the point.

> But mostly I just hate the cynical use of psuedo-scientific phrases in
> an attempt to make the same old product sound like something
> revolutionary and new.

Does it make it any better if it is said by a white haired man (or a
pretty woman), wearing a lab coat? ;-)

> It cheapens real science.

Science is a whore when it comes to funding, IMO, as are lots of things.
But basically I agree with you.

--
Regards
     Stephen