POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Supercalorific : Re: Supercalorific Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Supercalorific
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 6 Feb 2013 15:24:23
Message: <5112bbf7$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/02/2013 08:36 AM, scott wrote:
>> Actually, I already have a heart rate monitor. And the weird thing is,
>> if I wear it while standing next to the exercise machines, they pick up
>> the signal and display my heart rate. It's almost as if somebody devised
>> a *standard* for heart rate transmissions...
>
> Or rather there is no standard and they just transmit a "white noise"
> pulse. Mine used to stop working for a 10 seconds or so when I ran under
> power lines or over an electrified train line. I don't think they are
> that sophisticated to run on different channels or frequency hop :-)

There's a certain piece of road. Every time I drive along it, the
monitor tells me my heart rate has hit 700 BPM. I'm fairly sure that's
physiologically impossible. ;-)

>> When I start running, my heart rate just keeps on climbing. By the end
>> of my run, it's usually parked at around 188 BPM or so. (According to
>> the graph on the front of the machine, my "maximum heart rate" is 178
>> BPM. But what does a machine know?)
>
> ..but it sounds like your body is not capable to continuously deliver
> the amount of energy needed for 6 mph. IIRC you want to be aiming for
> about 70% of your maximum heart rate (I set up my watch years ago for
> the heart rate ranges) - so go whatever speed is needed to maintain that
> rate. If your heart rate keeps rising above that then slow down - as
> Warp said if you are really unfit to start with then that may mean you
> have to walk and not even run at all.

Walking just feels like I'm not achieving anything. I mean, my legs feel
crippled after half an hour or so, but my heart rate has barely moved
from when I'm sitting down, and I don't feel particularly tired. It's
just that my calves hurt.

> What are you doing on weights - get back on that running machine! :-)

Gotta mix it up to stave off the boredom. ;-) Besides, now I can delude
myself that my arms look more muscular. (Even though that's obviously
impossible after a mere 20 days...)

>> That's kind of my point. I used to think that no matter what you eat,
>> you can just burn it off with enough exercise. Now I plainly see that
>> there isn't enough time in the universe for that to be even vaguely
>> possible. A single meal can /easily/ contain far more calories than you
>> could possibly hope to work off if you exercised for 24 hours straight.
>
> You said you burnt 15 cal/min, that's 900 an hour. Do an hour run after
> work and you've pretty much earned yourself an additional meal.

If I could actually run for an hour straight and not *die*, that would
be quite impressive...