POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Supercalorific : Deliciousness Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  Deliciousness
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 5 Feb 2013 10:30:54
Message: <511125ae$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/02/2013 02:53 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> Perhaps my next project should be to sit down and compute the calorific
> value of those lemon cakes I keep making. (I doubt the value changes
> significantly due to cooking...)

Some randomly-selected food items, sorted by calorific value per 100g:

   126 kcal   White rice.
   147 kcal   Eggs. (~70 kcal per egg.)
   256 kcal   Blackcurrant jam.
   263 kcal   Minced beef.
   302 kcal   Lemon curd.
   313 kcal   Brown self-raising flour.
   335 kcal   White self-raising flour.
   400 kcal   Sugar (doesn't appear to matter which kind).
   410 kcal   Cheddar cheese.
   410 kcal   Flora margarine.
   680 kcal   Stork solid butter.

I also managed to find out that the milk we buy is 207 kcal / 100ml.
Now, if I know how many ml there is in 100g...

Anyway, based on the above data, we can compute the total calorific
value of one of my lemon cakes:

   250g flour  =   837.5 kcal
   250g sugar  = 1,000.0 kcal
   250g butter = 1,700.0 kcal
      3 eggs   =   210.0 kcal
                 3,747.5 kcal for the cake mix

   1 jar of lemon curd is 400g, so half a jar is 200g.
   200g lemon curd  =   604.0 kcal
   400g icing sugar = 1,600.0 kcal
                      5,951.5 kcal final total

If each person eats a 1/12th slice, that's 496 kcal per slice.

Now compute how many months you would have to run non-stop to burn that
many calories. Yeah, exactly.