POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Another reason to hate Windows 7 : Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7 Server Time
3 May 2024 06:13:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another reason to hate Windows 7
From: clipka
Date: 1 Feb 2013 08:05:16
Message: <510bbd8c@news.povray.org>
Am 30.01.2013 19:44, schrieb Chris Cason:
> On 30/01/2013 20:59, clipka wrote:
>>> Very mysterious, first time a link to the POV-newsgroups doesn't work. It was at
>>> povray.beta-test, "Resuming renders in 3.7 RC6 is confusing at best, broken at
>>> worst" by Chaanakya at 21 Aug 2012 19:30:00.
>>
>> The very first link worked perfectly fine for me (I haven't tested the
>> others).
>>
>> Did anyone ever file a bug report on this issue?
>
> I don't recall seeing one. It's definitely something we need to look
> at as I can't see us releasing 3.7 if it's faulty.

I tested it, and although I didn't actually manage to reproduce the
visible symptoms at first, stepping through the code revealed some bad
internal behaviour that could well lead to the phenomenon mentioned.

It turns out that we did have a fencepost error in the code that checks
whether a rendered block is consecutive to the previous ones or not.

(I also noticed that the respective code is pretty braindead anyway, but
as it won't lead to errors - to the contrary, there's nothing much to go
wrong in there except for that one fencepost - I think we can live with
it for 3.7.0.)

BTW, the bug is now officially FS#270.