POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Eve Online Battle of Asakai : Re: Eve Online Battle of Asakai Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:29:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eve Online Battle of Asakai
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 30 Jan 2013 12:14:45
Message: <51095505$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/29/2013 9:54 PM, Tim Cook wrote:
> ...ugh.  Changed my mind about wanting to try out EVE again, from your
> description of what can and can't be done in combat.
>
> Looking forward to Elite: Dangerous!  XD
>
> --
> Tim Cook
> http://empyrean.sjcook.com
Well, its sort of understandable, when you consider the reality of what
they have to keep track of already. The specific video being discussed
here actually a) hit the time dilation limit of 10%, b) crashed the PS3
game in BETA, called DUST 514, which is now tied into the Eve universe
(You can buy mercs on planets, and provide planetary bombardment for the
troops on the ground, if your ship is rigged with the correct weapons
for it at this point), and it had as many as 3,200 people involved, at
one point, though there is some dispute as to how many of them where
"in" the system. Sector 0, which is where it took place, is usually not
running on the highest end servers, unless someone has clearly warned
CCP that such an attack is likely, so the servers where just not in a
state to handle things effectively. If you had to have those servers
track details, like object occlusions, during weapons fire, and other
factors.. the data involved would grow even more, and it would take
probably half as much as was involved in this mess to grind things to a
near total halt.

In fact, its purely the fact that they added the time dilation effect,
at all, that kept the server itself from going down entirely, like they
used to, not long ago.

That said, I am not sure how much good more accurate maneuvering would
do anyway. I mean, as much fun as it might be to hide behind an object,
to avoid fire, and maybe warp out/break locks, or webbing, etc., its
actually fairly rare that a) you have situations where that would be
available, or b) large enough fleet battles happen that you could use
other ships to block/break/etc. someone else's fire, or other effects on
you.