POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Eve Online Battle of Asakai : Re: Eve Online Battle of Asakai Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:35:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eve Online Battle of Asakai
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 29 Jan 2013 18:19:03
Message: <510858e7@news.povray.org>
On 1/28/2013 8:53 PM, Kevin Wampler wrote:
> Most everything I could see the video I looked at were the larger ships,
> which are probably not very maneuverable.  There could well have been a
> swarm of more agile ships darting around in there that were too tiny to
> really see well.  Or maybe in a battle this size small ships are less
> helpful, I dunno.

Actually, the opposite. Larger weapons systems, like the ships, are much
slower. A small frigate, especially rigged with some extra speed, may
literally ***never*** get hit by a large carrier, or the like. Think -
'so small they are evading our turbo lasers' lol The drawback being that
you either need a huge mess of them, or you need the bigger ships on
your side to be hammering the target with heavy fire, so that the weaker
attacks from the frigates can penetrate the defenses.

Also, there are "drones" and now "fighters". Both of these are bloody
small, and, in the case of drones, they range from adding extra defense,
to extra repairs, to energy transfers, etc., as well as attacking,
depending on the type of drone. So, you are likely to see stuff so small
that its not even visible to most smaller ships, buzzing around, and
high speed, in there.

Hmm. There is this:

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/EVE_Visual_Effects_Cheat_Sheet

But, not seeing "pink" in there. So, not sure what that flash is.

No, wait - its "smart bomb", here is another page with a better list:

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Identifying_Visual_Effects

Smart bombs basically detonate at a set range, and take down shields
**very fast**, while doing some damage, I think, to armor as well. They
however need to be used at range, and there are not so smart in the
sense of hitting only the enemy. They will hammer *everyone* in range of
the detonation, friend of foe. Often, they are used, in mass, to send
out a wave of explosions, into the path of an approaching fleet, in
hopes that they catch a) any drones that have been launched (it will
vaporize them just about instantly), or b) frigates, near the front edge
of the attackers, which would have less defensive ability, and may not
be able to repair the damage/recharge shield, before they hit firing
range on your own fleet. And, those long range, really slow, will never
hit your frigate when orbiting a huge ship, guns... **will** hit your
frigate, at 15k+ away from the enemy (while you, probably, won't be able
to hit jack, in a frigate, until like 5k from them, or closer.) That is
an awful lot of space, even at high speeds, to pass through, with your
defenses ripped up by a smart bomb.