POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a new computer: RAID and other questions : Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:29:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 29 Jan 2013 09:28:20
Message: <5107dc84@news.povray.org>
Le 2013-01-29 03:55, Orchid Win7 v1 a écrit :
>>> It's a new feature in Windows Server 2007 (?).
>>
>> A new feature that Novell had in Netware 3.10 back in 1990.
>
> And Amiga OS had premptive multitasking and a full GUI back when PC
> users were still playing with MS-DOS. Your point?

That is is hardly a new feature.

>>> Of course, then you need to buy backup software expensive enough that it
>>> backs up the hidden previous versions as well as the visible files...
>>
>> No. You just need to load $Day's tape (or DVD) with $day's version of
>> the file.
>>
>> Presumably, your backup software's DB will be able to provide you with
>> $Day.
>
> The idea being that if you edit the file three times per hour, then
> three prior versions get stored. If your backup software is advanced
> enough, it can capture all of those prior versions. If it isn't, you
> only get the current version at the instant the backup happened. [Which
> is still far better than nothing, of course...]

Most software (Office is - or was - famous for that.) no longer rewrite
the entire file when you do a "save".  It only appends a "changes"
section at the end of the file, so unless you do a "save as..." and use
the same file name, you  will not get multiple copies of the file on the
OS file system.

This being said, I wonder how Windows Server 2008 would know that it
should save multiple copies of a 5MB TPS Reports.ppt, but not multiple
copies of a 64GB payroll.dbf.