POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I need a new computer: RAID and other questions : Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a new computer: RAID and other questions
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 29 Jan 2013 03:55:11
Message: <51078e6f@news.povray.org>
>> It's a new feature in Windows Server 2007 (?).
>
> A new feature that Novell had in Netware 3.10 back in 1990.

And Amiga OS had premptive multitasking and a full GUI back when PC
users were still playing with MS-DOS. Your point?

>> Of course, then you need to buy backup software expensive enough that it
>> backs up the hidden previous versions as well as the visible files...
>
> No. You just need to load $Day's tape (or DVD) with $day's version of
> the file.
>
> Presumably, your backup software's DB will be able to provide you with
> $Day.

The idea being that if you edit the file three times per hour, then
three prior versions get stored. If your backup software is advanced
enough, it can capture all of those prior versions. If it isn't, you
only get the current version at the instant the backup happened. [Which
is still far better than nothing, of course...]